Popular Posts

Saturday, January 28, 2012

What's in YOUR laundry room?

Washer- YES
Dryer- YES
Worm compost---------BREAKS....WHAT
Yep, I have worm compost in my laundry room or the makings of compost anyways.  So as I told you a few weeks ago I attended a gardening seminar in Pittsburg and it was over compost.  NOT what I expected but I did learn something and I have put that knowledge to good use.

Today, I finally got my worms so I could put together my compost bucket. 

It is really easy and they pretty much take care of themselves.  All I have to do is feed them about every other week.  In approx 2 months I will should have about 5 gallon size bags full of VERY fertile soil that I can use in my garden.  (more on that later)  Worms like to stay in dark places and also need to be kept in a neutral temp like a house, barn, or shed the point is they just don't need to get too hot or too cold.  Now don't worry because they can't get out of their container and there shouldn't be any odor. (if there is your doing it wrong)

You will need:

  • container- I used a Rubbermaid tub I had on hand
  • drill
  • newspapers
  • 5 or 6 cups of yard dirt
  • a couple handfuls of leaves (optional)
  • worms
  • fresh food scraps like potato peels, egg shells, raw vegetable clippings, coffee and tea grounds
  • water
What you do:
  • Drill holes in the top of your container around all the edges so your worms can get air
  • Layer the bottom of your container with newspaper

  • Add in dirt and leaves on top


  • Dump in worms on one side of your container

  • Put your fresh scraps on the other side

  • pour water over it just to moisten (NOT TOO MUCH)
  • Let your worms do the rest
TIPS:
  • Only use newspaper nothing colored or shiny like magazines
  • NO cooked food or meats only raw veg
  • They are supposed to love cornmeal also so you can sprinkle some on top
  • Next time you feed them put the food on the opposite end of the previous feeding so you keep your worms moving and eating some that they might have missed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN