Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday's Travel To Do- Greece





If you haven’t figured it out yet these beautiful pictures are from a place that has always been on my travel list…Greece. I haven’t had the pleasure of going there YET, but I know one day I will make it to this paradise in the Mediterranean. I am not sure if I love Greece because it’s so ancient and full of great stories, because of its beauty, or because I really like Greek mythology but any of these reasons are a great reason to go there and experience something that is sure to be unforgettable.

When researching Greece the past few days I was reminded of how much I really enjoy Greek Mythology. Now I’m searching the net for the perfect book so I can read it but it can’t be too history-ish more like a story book to really keep my interest.
Anyways back to the topic at hand…The great country of Greece. Forget about the countries current financial woes and focus more on all the great sites and cities there are to see.

Mt. Olympus- Which is the highest mountain in Greece and also regarded as the “home of the gods” in Greek mythology.
Parthenon- Ok this is something that you just CAN’T miss while visiting Greece. It is so rich with history and just amazing how this structure is still standing. Construction began in 447 BC and has been ruined, blown up, reconstructed and who knows what else since and the most marvelous thing is that parts are STILL STANDING if you didn’t get that from above. LOL
Acropolis- The ancient building that sits up on a mountain/hill of rock and looks over the city of Athens.
Ok enough of the ancient sites and more about the different cities in Greece.

Mykonos is a very popular tourist destination for cruise ships and regular travelers. It is part of the Greek island group of Cyclades. Being one of the top tourist destinations in Greece its filled with nightclubs to party in, beaches to relax on, and the old town near by to still get the feel for Greek culture.
Of course Athens, the capital and largest city of Greece, with all the ancient architecture and the modern city hustling and bustling until the wee hours of the morning is a must see. I can say that I have sort of hit this. I mean I have a Greece passport stamp from the Athens Airport but I never left, sadly. I was on my way to Germany.
Delphi is a town that was built on a cliff’s edge 178 km northwest of Athens. It was chosen by the Greeks to be the navel of the earth and is a great archaeological site to visit.
So I know I have listed and showed a lot of historical sites and cities and I have probably missed some but the place is ancient, beautiful, and a must see because all those ancient ruins aren’t going to be standing forever. You can hit up what I missed when you go there. I could see myself strolling the streets of Greece, relaxing in the crystal blue water, and eating all that great Mediterranean style food. I’m there in my head already.

A few facts about Greece:
  • Best time to go is late April to mid- June
  • Don’t haggle with merchants while shopping they will get mad
  • Last but not least, you CAN drink the water! That’s always good to know.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP & A GREAT WEEK!

1 comment:

  1. This is what I'm talking about!! This is one of the better "travel spots" I favor of all of them you've posted, besides the one in France with the bones underground!! This place looks very inviting and I would love to visit there! That water looks more tropical than I would've thought. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN