Popular Posts

Monday, November 15, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Around 3 years ago I was visiting my best friend in Denton and I saw a book titled Eat Pray Love on her nightstand.  I asked what it was about and Piper said she couldn't really explain it because she hadn't gotten very far in the book and she just hadn't been into reading it.  I think she might have suggested that I read it but I can't really remember.  About 6 months after that I was on my way to Baghdad for the first time and as I was waiting in the Dubai airport I picked up Eat Pray Love for myself.  I recognized it from Piper's apartment and after reading the back figured it was something to try. 

I am not into nonfiction AT ALL so I was a little skepitcal but thought I should try something new.  I mean afterall I was MOVING to Iraq to work for the military! LOL  Anyways, I bought the book and as I waited for my flight I started reading it and continued until I finished it.  I do have to admit that it did take me about a month or more to finish the book but I finished none the less.  When I immediately finished reading it my initial reaction was...."well, it don't know if I liked it or not, it was a bit hard to get into", but the more it sunk in I decided that I did really like the book.  The Pray section was the hardest to get through because it was realy long and boring to me.  Nothing was really happening and it was a lot of internal conflict with Liz so to me I was less than captivated.  I pushed on through because after paying for a book I refuse to not finish it and I am really glad I did.  After learning about her struggles and how she overcame those I felt better about myself and stronger.  Eat Pray Love is a very empowering book or to me it was anyways and I would suggest it to any woman it probably wouldn't appeal to many men. 

Last year when I found out that they were making a movie from the book I was so excited.  I knew that it would be a good movie and with my favorite actress playing the lead.....how can it NOT be wonderful.  I watched the movie last night and it didn't disappoint.  I even cried at the end. LOL I am not sure if it was because I was happy for her and it was really sweet or if I was just feeling emotional but either way I loved the movie and just as I recommend the book to people I also recommend the movie.
On another note, it really sort of bugged me that everyone got much more interested in Eat Pray Love only AFTER they found out that there was going to be a movie about it.  I love movies but I had read the book like 2 years prior so I sort of felt cheated and mad at all those people out there who was never interested in a very interesting woman's story until it was widely pulicized as a movie.  Anyways, I am over it now and if you are one of those who ONLY saw the movie (shame on you) then I suggest you read the book you will get a better understanding of the actual story and learn more about Liz and her great adventure. 

By the way, I am pretty sure that to this day Piper still hasn't finished the book. :( I bug her about it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN