Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tuesday's Travel To Do- Paris Catacombs

Paris, France the city of lights and lovers. Paris is one of the most influential cities in the world be it art, science, of course fashion and lets not forget how romantic it is. I think everyone wants to at least visit this great city just because well… it’s so great and I am no different. Paris is one of the top places that I want to visit and granted the city itself is a site but below all the great attractions like the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, Arc de Triomphe, The Louvre, Versailles, tons of great shopping and little cafes that serve coffees and croissants lies the Paris Catacombs.


In honor of Halloween this coming weekend I thought that this week’s Tuesday Travel To Do should be a little spooky and creepy and the Paris Catacombs definitely makes that list. Below all the hustle and bustle of Paris is a tunnel system that after being used for mining was turned into storage for all the dead bodies that had already decayed. I researched and found my facts on Wikipedia and as history goes back in the 1700s Paris was growing and the dead were buried in mass graves. They didn’t use coffins normally because of the limited space and to speed up decomposition they would put lime on the bodies. After so many years of doing this they were poisoning themselves because all of the rotting flesh and lime was soaking into the ground…the same ground that held their well WATER. YUK! A man had an idea to use the abandoned mine tunnels as storage for all the bones that had been dug up just to be replaced with “fresh” dead bodies. The creator sort of took joy I guess in doing this and even arranged all the bones in designs almost like art.




I couldn’t imagine going down there but I have to say that is pretty unique and very creepy. When I do make it to Paris I will for sure be stopping by the grotesque attraction for a look.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. You'll certainly enjoy Paris. I'd highly recommend Barcelona, too...my favourite city. And for nightlife, you can't beat Berlin. If you ever make it to London, look me up. And stay safe while you're in Iraq...you're either very brave, or stuck out there in the Army?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I would LOVE to go to the Catacombs!!

    Fun blog you have going on here!!! Glad I stopped by!! I wanted to thank you for your sweet, sweet comment on my latest post. It meant a lot to me. I was ASTONISHED by all the amazing, encouraging feedback I received! Have a wonderful rest of your day, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Catacombs very nice, keep sharing.!!! Appreciate...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN