Popular Posts

Monday, November 10, 2014

1 Year Plan

I'm sure I've mentioned before about wanting to have a more creative outlet during my work week, wanting to one day stay home or at least work from home and have a more entrepreneurial skill set...the post or posts that I might have put this in have escaped me so there are no links but just go with me here!

Over the past month or so I've really started thinking about my life after school seeing the light at the end of that tunnel is getting brighter.  I have always known that 1) I won't ever move to the big city so working at a big accounting firm isn't happening and 2) I don't want to be in banking forever.  Knowing these two things means that I am 1) left with opening up my own practice or 2) making my own way with not only my degree but other things as well.  I think that #2 is the perfect option and this is where my one year plan comes into the picture.

Before I break it down for you here is the gist...In approximately one year from now I want to be graduated from school with my masters, studying for the CPA exam, have my personal training, and real estate license, and also be doing a small amount of interior design work....hopefully enough of all these things to be doing it all from HOME.



Now for the breakdown!

The degree is a no brainer at this point.  I love my accounting work but I also know that I can't sit in an office from 8-5 for the next 30 years only doing financials and reconciliations.  If I chose to do that I want it to be on my terms, in my office, and I also want to be able to do it as heavy or light as I'd like for that time period.  This will be my main focus in the next year as it is my foundation to be able to do the other items on my list.
 
After the degree is done I'm going to have free time and I'm going to quickly fill it with a couple certifications that are quick, easy to get, and will benefit my well being.  Both the real estate license and the personal training certificate are something that I have a deep interest for and they will compliment my "make your own" work life nicely.
 
I've always loved real estate I love the buying and selling process and also the whole process of looking at someone's has been and imagining what it can be.  I'm an HGTV addict and although I'm not getting into the whole flipping thing (yet) I do find a certain interest in being excited to show people homes and help them start something new and awesome.



Along the same lines as the real estate I've always been athletic and years ago thought about becoming a personal trainer.  Thought is all I did back then but now I've actually researched the requirements, talked with other trainers, and even used one.  I love my workout regime and I think that it would be a great way to fill in a few hours of my week motivating and teaching others how to maintain a healthy body and lifestyle.



The whole interior design thing is really just a creative outlet because I really love decorating my own spaces with homey décor.  I would really like to do this and if it works or takes off then more power to me but otherwise it is more of a fun hobby that if possible I would like to make money at.  Out of all the things on my list this is the least important part.
 
My thinking is this....Although accounting and business is my foundation I don't want to be or feel trapped or burnt out and at the rate we are going that's how I'm going to feel sooner rather than later.  By attaching the other trainings and certificates to my business/accounting degree I am allowing myself the freedom to concentrate more heavily on one area when or if I want.  If I'm done doing taxes for the busy season I may deny a few clients for a few months take a breather and in the mean time pick up a few extra training clients to fill the void of money and time spent working.
 
This entire plan is to build myself a repertoire of things I can do all at once and individually if I'd like to build the free, creative and challenging work environment that I'm not getting at a steady state job.  I've all of a sudden evaluated myself and my work history and came to this conclusion....after about 3 years I get bored, itchy, and unchallenged in my job.  At this point I'm ready to move on to newer and greener pastures to learn the new ropes of companies or job duties.  Obviously this is the same thing as opening and closing a million credit cards over your life...yeah they were paid off and closed in good standing but why did you get so many over all this time. Was the first one that you had for 3 years not good enough?  I don't want people to look at my resume and see a string of employment here and there and really no good reason to leave anywhere except...I'm done, I'm bored, and I'm not challenged enough. 
 
I feel that the one year plan that I've laid out for myself is the perfect mix of areas that I can really mold into my own and make myself an awesome at home career. 
 
Who knows what all this will bring but I'm ready to get the show on the road and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN