Popular Posts

Friday, August 10, 2018

Apartment Remodel

One of my friends had graduated high school and was ready to branch out on her own.  We happened to have a little apartment available but it needed MUCH work!  Mainly it needed cleaning desperately and just refreshed with paint on any surface that it would stick too.  The apartment wasn't much to start but I think it turned out so cute and for what it is and the price it was pretty nice.  It is no mansion but it is a place to live and had a ton of potential.

Total amount spent was $2100 and that went towards:

  • 2 window units with a/c and 1 with heat
  • 2 new light fixtures- 1 LED fixture and 1 new ceiling fan/light combo
  • new paint on every surface-walls, trim, ceiling, doors, cabinets, and cement paint on the floor
  • appliances- stove and refrigerator
  • painting supplies
  • contact paper in marble finish $20 to do all the kitchen counter tops and had extra left over
  • garage sale finds: medicine cabinet, area rug, wicker basket and wicker shelf unit

My friend and I did all the cleaning and painting ourselves.  I did a few DIY projects to fancy it up a bit.

One of the projects that finished up the apartment once we had painted and she was ready to move in was adding contact paper to the counter top in the kitchen.  The current counter top was just plywood so I bought 3 rolls of faux marble contact paper from Lowes totaling $20. 

Idea from Pinterest found HERE

It was easy to apply as the width of the roll was exactly what we needed so we didn't have to make a lot of cuts and such.  It took maybe 30 minutes to get the counter tops covered and it looked fantastic! It is wipe proof so easy to clean and is WAY better than plywood.   This was a Pinterest win for sure!!!
finished counter tops

Another DIY project I did was creating a fancy light fixture with materials I already had on hand. Another Pinterest find and another win!

Idea from Pinterest found HERE

I had the hanging flower basket on hand that I never use, silver metallic spray paint from Lowe's and some crystals in the wedding section of Hobby Lobby to make this light fixture come to life.  

Here are all my supplies

cheap!
I had a vision of turning the hanging basket into a true chandelier but it didn't work as well as I thought.  It looked DIYed!  Once I got it in the designated bedroom and tried separating the three strands to hang it chandelier style it looked cheap.  So I went back to the original idea.  I took off the chains and rearranged the crystals and mounted the basket to the ceiling around the light fixture flush to the ceiling using little eye-hooks.


finished product
It turned out SSOOOO cute!! I love it and the renter loves it too, it is the perfect touch for her bedroom.

Both of these Pins happen to come from the same place http://industrystandarddesign.com so I am going to definitely check out more of their featured DIY projects in the future.


For the master bedroom we painted walls, ceiling, floor, and installed new light fixture.
Before (left) After (right)
Garage sale wicker shelving unit that we spray painted white to give it a refresh for bathroom storage.

Before (left) After (right)
The kitchen, dining, living room we painted walls, ceiling, floor, cabinets, and applied the contact paper to the counter tops.  I don't have great pictures of the after on this but you can see the clean refreshed look that paint gave. 
Before (top) After (bottom)
The second bedroom was a horrible shade of Pepto pink and it looked amazing after.  The window still needed to be repaired at this point but all surfaces were repainted.  My friend used this room as a glam room/ closet.  

Before
After
A couple more of the before and after of that living area before any appliances and furniture were moved in.



I don't have any picture of the bathroom but all we did in there was a deep clean and some paint on the walls that were no tiled.

It took around a full week of us working day and night cleaning, painting, cleaning more for her to move in. She is on to Dallas in the next month for new adventures and so in honor of that I thought I better get this post up! LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN