Popular Posts

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Whitten Property: DIY Board & Batten Shutters

As I mentioned in THIS POST Hendrik and I bought the Whitten investment property back in September of 2017.  As soon as I saw the house I feel in love and new I was fixing to make all my HGTV dreams come true.  I immediately started brainstorming and creating mood boards.  I new I wanted to paint the brick and I knew I wanted a specific look.  Part of that specific look was adding shutters to the house to really bring it to life.

My inspiration was exactly like this picture of board and batten shutters so I set out to make it happen!  I looked up several tutorials found through Pinterest and I watched several Youtube videos as well making sure I had as much knowledge as I could get about the project I wanted to complete.  After reading and watching up...I knew I could complete this.  I decided on my materials and measured my shutter space on the house and set out to make it happen.

shutter inspiration
I got all my supplies and set up my work station in my garage early one Saturday and got to work.  I finished all the shutters in one day doing all the measuring, cutting, nailing, gluing, and staining by myself.  I was/am super proud of myself!  Not because I thought I couldn't do it but because they turned out EXACTLY as I planned and look so professional!  That doesn't happen in life too often!


What you will need
  • 1×6 poplar boards
  • 1×4 poplar boards
  • compound miter saw
  • wood glue
  • nail gun and nails (1 1/4″, 18 gauge finish nails)
  • tape measure
  • sanding sponges
  • stain  (We used MinWax Dark Walnut.)
  • rubber gloves and cloths for staining
  • paint sticks to use as spacers 
Once my work station was set up and complete I got to work.  My first step was to cut all the wood pieces I needed in the proper lengths.  


Next I put 3 of the 1x6 boards together to make my shutter width and then measured and marked where the 1x4 cross pieced need to go on either end.



Once marked I first glued the cross piece on using wood glue.  The only reason I used this glue was for added support and connection to the other boards.  More of a safety but not necessary unless you really want to do it. Now that I've completed the project in the future I probably wouldn't do this step.


When I had the cross piece semi tacked on I used a paint stick as a spacer and then nailed the cross piece into position on either end of the shutter using a nail gun.




After gluing and nailing every piece together I had fully built shutters.  Now it was time to sand and prep for the stain I was going to later apply.  I used a small hand sander just to knock off any burs or splinters that would make staining harder.


After I sanded all the shutters I broke out the rubber gloves, rags, and stain and got my color on. I was so excited to see them come to life with the stain.  After staining they laid in my garage to dry and cure a bit while we worked on the outside of the house before installing.


When we installed them we used little brackets on either side of the shutter like you would a picture but they are locking brackets so the shutters are hung securely on the house but there aren't any screws or anything going through the front of the shutter into the brick of the house.  Not only does this look better it does less damage to the brick and allows for the shutters to be removed for cleaning, maintenance, or a change of the decor one day if needed.  

before anything had been done
in progress- paint on but no shutters yet

shutters on!!!!!
another view close up of new shutters
This was really the first project that I felt so good about from beginning to end.  Driving by the property daily now that it is complete I still love it as much as I loved the inspiration a year ago.  So glad I went this route and I'm also so glad I completed the project myself. These shutters were truly very easy and I recommend anyone to do it themselves.  This entire project cost me only $250 and a day of easy labor.  My cousin is a contractor and he said he would charge someone at least $1500 for the same work!  DIY may not always work out the way you want but on the times it does it's really so rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN