Popular Posts

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Postcard Puzzle

Friday night on my way to MV to see Casey & Kaylynn's new purchase! (land....so envious) I called my Mom to chat and she said that on my way through to stop by and see what Caleb, my brother, got in the mail today.  I just thought it was something from a college or something like that...boy was I mistaken.  So when I walked in my Mom through a little yellow envelope down in front of me and it was addressed to my brother but the return address was from an APO which is a military post. 

I asked Mom who it was from because I didn't think Caleb new anyone else at an APO, other than me when I was overseas.  She said just open it so it did.  I pulled out two pieces of cardboard and this was the message. "Found this in a geocache and thought you'd need this.  Tell your brother he's cheap!! :) Al Burke Cairo, Egypt"


Then I removed the top cardboard piece and was dumbfounded as to what I found inside!
 
 
A post card!  And I recognized it immediately it was a post card that I had bought...I turned it over and on the back of the post card was this. "I was going to send this to my brother but never made it to the post. Ha Ha Ha :)"
 Ok so now I'm really confused!  The writing is mine and I couldn't remember why I would have written this on the post card.  I obviously had never made it to the post office or I would have written something else and there's no postage.  I figured I had maybe left it at my hotel or something and some nice person found it and sent it to my bro.

I racked my brain with my Mom and couldn't come up with anything.  She said it was a mystery.  We laughed and I had to be on my way before it got completely dark so I headed out. 

I drove and still thought about what I had done but couldn't come up with anything.  I thought that if I didn't come up with the answer soon I was going to have to write back to the sender and find out more of the story because this was bugging me...WHY WOULD I WRITE THAT? 
 
I got to Kaylynn's and was telling them the story and showing them the pictures I had taken of the thing with my phone and Autumn couldn't make out a word. I said that the word was geocache but I didn't know what that meant.  Kaylynn shed some light on this and told us it was like a treasure and that they have like GPS geocaches where its like a treasure hunt and they go around digging things up and stuff.  This struck a memory and it all made sense!
 
While I visited Egypt I went to the Valley of the Whales and while hiking the park I went to the top of this really tall sand mountain thing and found a box half buried in the ground.  I opened it up and there were other people's items in it...it's like a time capsule or in this guys vocabulary a geocache!  I had a postcard in my bag that I had intended on mailing to my brother but never did so I wrote on the back and put it in the box, locked the lid, and continued on my marry way totally forgetting about what I'd done.
at the Valley of the Whales January 2011
 
Apparently Al Burke found the box and saw my postcard and mailed it to my brother assuming that I, was Caleb's brother and was too cheap to mail it myself. LOL  I think its awesome and an amazing story and what an adventure has this little postcard had. I hope my Mom keeps this little package in a safe spot because its really neat and I would really love for Caleb to keep it.
 
I think I might pen Al Burke a letter and send it off just because you never know.....stuff like this never happens to me... I mean really what are the odds.
 
NOW THAT'S A GOOD STORY! LOL I still can't believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Amusing, Megan. I love the postcard, too...great lurid colours. Valley Of The Whales looks amazing, so I'd better put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN