Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sunday Golf

Last week Amber, Lincoln’s sister, emailed me saying she wanted to go play golf. We made a plan to play on Sunday and I looked forward to it for the rest of the week. I have been itching to play and learn more about the sport and now was the perfect time. She stayed the night Saturday and then we got ready Sunday morning and headed to the Pittsburg country club.

**Now a brief overview of my golf skills or lack thereof are in need. Friday night Lincoln and I went to dinner at a steak house in Winnsboro and over dinner we were just talking and he was asking if I was still going golfing and all that. OF COURSE I was still going I was so excited and he’s like “babe I don’t mean to bust your bubble but this isn’t going to be as easy as you think. Golf is hard. Do you even know your way around a golf course, do you know what a tee box is, do you know where to tee off from…?” Question after question. By the end of this I was a bit intimidated but still I was going and I was going to have fun. I mean the sole purpose was to go and have fun. I didn’t expected to be able to try out for the WPGA after my VERY FIRST ROUND of golf. Geesh**

Our score card starting out
So once we got to the course I was sitting in the car like shit, what have I gotten myself into? It was like looking at a book in Chinese. I had no clue where to begin, where to go next, or anything. We checked in and off we went in our cart. Our tee time was 10 so luckily on a Sunday morning there weren’t that many people just me, Amber, and another couple. We let them go ahead because they looked real professional and then it was our turn. The first couple of holes were my worst because I was just getting used to swinging a driver and hitting off a tee and all that. By the third hole I was getting the hang of things and it was a lot of fun. Amber is pretty good in my eyes. Her ball USUALLY goes a long ways and pretty straight. I was so envious but as far as I was concerned with a few more rounds of practice I could really see myself improving. I mean YEAH I sucked…but I also didn’t suck as bad as I thought I would have and I got the general idea of things. I really liked the game and I learned a lot in just one morning/afternoon. Lincoln was texting frequently to make sure we were making it and was always anxious to know my score. LOL
My VERY first tee off!  It might have taken me 6 swings or so before I finally sent that ball flying.


We made it through our first 9 holes ok. I will admit that since the course only has 9 holes I was a little weary of starting the same ones over AGAIN to finish up our 18. I was sort of thinking mmmaannnn we are never going to get done but the back nine were actually full of excitement. On about whole 13 we got behind 3 ladies there were just on the first 9 and boy were they fun to watch…I thought I was an amateur but Amber and I put these gals to shame. First, they cheated! I can honestly say that I played the entire round without ever just picking up my ball and moving it and I never skipped a hole or anything like that. I finished the entire round just like I knew what I was doing. These ladies would hit it terribly and then go pick it up and just drop it where ever they thought was a better spot. On top of the cheating, once they were on the green they wanted to act all professional by throwing grass and stuff into the air to check the wind like it would help them and they even bent down looking at the lay of the ground….COME ONE!!! They knew we were behind them WAITING at every hole for them to finish and they didn’t get in any hurry. I don’t think they were doing it to piss us off but just watching their ridiculousness made me feel WAY better about my golf game.


I also learned a bit on golf etiquette. We were working on finishing a hole and Amber way overshot the green. Her ball rolled down and we were looking for it. Well, Amber found a ball but I also spotted one in a different direction but it was closer. Before she hit that one I went to check the name on the other ball to make sure that one wasn’t hers…well it wasn’t but hey I found a spare ball so I grabbed that little baby up and went on about my business. Amber hit on the green and we were about to finish up that hole when a slew of carts came racing down the hill and all stopped in the trees where we just had been. Amber said ssshhhh! I was thinking I didn’t need to talk because I had already been warned by Lincoln that there’s no whopping and hollering because golf is a mental game so you have to be quiet. Well that is a true statement but this wasn’t the reason Amber was telling me to sssshhh. She came up and said “DON’T SAY ANYTHING BUT THAT BALL YOU PICKED UP WAS THAT MANS”!! When she saw where they were it dawned on her that we were no longer the only people on the course and that they teed off and hit that ball from #8 which is up the hill and we can’t see. LOL We laughed and never told on ourselves. I felt sort of bad but it was too funny watching them all wonder around the exact spot and not find anything. The looks on their faces were….I know I hit it over here where could it be. LOL Poor guys…SORRY!

 So we finished the game in 4 hours and I felt great about accomplishing something I have been wanting to learn. I know that as I continue to play I will get better. 

FINAL SCORE:
Megan: 168
Amber: 107

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN