Popular Posts

Monday, January 16, 2017

Recipe: Easy 5 Ingredient Cajun Dirty Rice


I made up this recipe several years ago and we have it at least once a month.  It is an easy go to on a night where I know the following day is going to be really busy.  It grows in size as you stir, it seems, so there is always plenty to have leftovers the next night.  I always keep/ have the ingredients on hand and you can substitute to fit your taste, make healthier, or whatever!

Max patiently waiting on his portion of the sausage
What you'll need:
  • Rice- I currently have a huge bag of jasmine rice but I usually use brown rice.  Quinoa would also be a great substitute that I would love to use but Hendrik isn't all that keen on it.
  • Sausage- I use the skinless sausage and depending on my mood sometimes I will add ground beef or even chicken.  Turkey would make a great healthy addition.
  • Beans- I used to use red beans but as my healthy lifestyle grew so did my pantry and now I use mainly black beans and sometimes I will throw in a can of chickpeas to add some different texture.  Mix it up and have fun!
  • Stock/Broth- again any that you have an hand will do I usually run out of beef faster so go to the chicken.  I like using broth or stock over water to add extra flavor.  Try to get the organic and low sodium broth.
  • Cajun seasoning- I buy this in a big container from Sams but any grocery store has a premixed container in the seasoning isle.

What to do:
1. I start my rice off either on the stove or in a rice cooker
2. As your rice is cooking prepare the meat and beans.  In a large pot or dutch oven cook your meats.
3. Once your meat is cooked add in your beans of choice along with broth.


4. Once your meat/bean mixture has cooked together for a few minutes I add the cajun seasoning to taste and more broth to make the mixture a stew consistency. 
5. Cook the mixture without rice until boiling and let the meat and beans soak up the seasoning.

6. After the meat/bean mixture has boiled and simmered for a bit add in the cooked rice.  
7. Let entire mix cook on low together for several minutes to soak in flavor.  More broth may need to be added as the rice usually soaks up a good bit.
8. Serve on a plate or bowl.



This recipe should take no more than 30 minutes the longest part is making sure the rice is finished.  I like the recipe even more the following day as the flavor really stands out more after it is reheated!  I love it and is the perfect meal for a quick dinner.  I hope you try it and like it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN