Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Weird Anxiety... Post Iraq


Ever since I came home from Iraq I have had anxiety when it comes to certain things.  The most notable and immediate anxiety that I noticed in myself was right after I came home and went to Wal-Mart for groceries and things.
I needed shampoo and that's where I noticed it. The shampoo isle at Wal-Mart is absolutely ridiculous...and entire isle up one side and down the next is all kinds of shampoo and conditioner.  I couldn't even buy any I just had to get out of there.  I was used to having it shipped to me or if I ran out then I would go to the PX and grab the only kind they had.

Living in Iraq made me into an even more simple, low maintenance person.  Why do we need so many to chose from if they all work then just grab one.  That's how I live now and I notice it more and more when it comes to things where I'm given a million options.  Now when I go shopping for anything I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on which one of this or that.  If I come up on it and its about right I grab it and go.  Some people would think this is a hindrance but really its a blessing now I don't get so worked up about it but I also NEVER go down the shampoo isle. LOL I order large salon size bottles off Amazon!


Along the same lines at the shampoo isles at Wal-Mart are entire super drug stores like CVS or Walgreens.  In the 5 years since returning and being home full-time I could count the amount of times on one hand that I've been in one of these big box drug stores.  
Earlier this year I was in desperate need of Nivea lip gloss to keep my lips from getting chapped Hendrik also had to get his passport photo renewed so while he did that I "got lip gloss".  I ended up leaving without the damn gloss because it was RI-DIC-U-LOUS the amount of options, flavors, and brands that I had to weave in and out of to try to find what I as looking for, which I never did.  

Not to mention, you would think all that was be grouped together but OH NO.  You have this brand here and that brand there and that brand usually just does sunscreen so you need to look over there.  I ended up just walking out. 
I've had to overcome this aversion because I have to frequent one of the stores about every 10 days for vitamins but I go straight to my section, grab, and go!  In and out in under 5 minutes.    


An anxiety that I never even noticed until Hendrik brought it to my attention is parking garage anxiety...mainly the part when I have to exit and pay. You only have one way in and one way out....if your credit card or ticket doesn't work you are holding up the entire line of cars behind you and THERE'S NO WAY OUT!!!  When we were in Europe (see HERE, HERE, and HERE) every parking garage was a complete meltdown!  I just mainly get nervous that I'm going to do it wrong or get hung up and people are going to start honking at me and stuff. WEIRD!



Again....just to get my point across, I'll say that the options we have allowed ourselves are limitless and guess what.....RIDICULOUS! 
We are such indulgent people, I mean do we really need 150 options of chapstick?  

Although the parking garage thing is for real and the shampoo and CVS are nerve wrecking I can easily be over come I just ignore what doesn't apply to my shopping list.  

I'm really glad I have this simple minded attitude when it comes to mainly shopping because I don't want to waste valuable time decision making what flavor shampoo would fit best with my lip gloss color when I could be out there LIVING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN