Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Leaving Iraq...Arriving in Egypt

Last time leavig BIAP
In the air leaving Iraq, flying over the base
Bright and early on January 10th, I left Baghdad for the last time in my life.  We arrived in Dubai and of course its late January but still it is hot.  A friend that I worked with was on his way home also so we decided to eat Indian before we left to go our separate ways.  We only had a short time and I had a few things I needed to get done before heading back to the airport. I had gotten a great suggestion for an Indian restaurant before I left Iraq so Wayne and I set out on foot to go eat Indian for the first time ever.  We found Akbar’s very easy and since it was a late lunch Wayne and I were the only ones in the restaurant.  I had a great experience with the food and I will be eating Indian again. 
Wayne studying the menu, acting goofy

Excited to check out the menu and try Indian for the first time.

This is what they bring to the table before your meal.  Very good!

Chicken dish that was so good and packed full of flavor.  I'm sorry but I can't remember the name.

Some spinach dish that had chicken in it, very creamy (can't remember the official name)
On our way back to the hotel to get our gear and head to the airport I had to stop and buy a new suit case at the market because I was terrified mine was going to bust open due to being extremely full. I knew I would want to buy a few souvenirs along the way and that bag wasn’t even going to hold another sock. LOL

After saying our goodbyes I went to the airport and left for Kuwait then on to Cairo.  Of course all the flights were delayed.  I should have known that when my flight out of BIAP (Baghdad International Airport) was delayed it would set the tune for every flight. And just a handy tip NEVER, I repeat NEVER think if visiting or flying through Kuwait....It is TERRIBLE.  After much agony I arrived in Cairo around midnight.  After wondering around looking for my tour guide for what seemed like forever I found him and headed for hotel.  A high note was when I got off the plane I actually had someone holding one of those little boards with my name on it...LOL I felt so fancy. 

My first stay in Cairo was about an hour away from the airport at the Oasis Hotel.  After taking long, hot, very needed bath I hopped into bed and slept for a about 5 hours before getting up to get ready for the day.  Looking back, this first day of travel pretty much set my tone for the whole trip.  It was a wonderful time and I am so glad I did it but it was very fast pace and not a lot of down time.


More of my Egyptian travels to come!!!

1 comment:

  1. glad to see you posting again about your journeys! I enjoy reading about them!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

adoration studios DESIGN